Safe and Stress-free Spays and Neuters
Are you considering spaying or neutering your pet? When you spay or neuter your pet, you eliminate the risk of unwanted litters, reduce health concerns, and improve unwanted sexual behaviors. At VetNaturally in Mandeville, LA, our advanced surgical team spays and neuters pets in a safe environment under general anesthesia.
Let’s review the definitions of spay and neuter sterilization procedures:
- Spaying: Spaying removes the reproductive organs from a female cat or dog, including the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus. After spaying your female dog or cat, they will no longer have a heat cycle. Spaying can prevent ovarian cancer, reduce pet anxiety, and help with the overall discomfort that occurs during heat periods.
- Neutering: Neutering male pets removes the testicles, eliminating reproduction abilities. When your neuter dogs or cats, they typically lose male breeding behaviors. Neutering can reduce pet aggression and anxiety while offering longer lifespans.
When to Consider Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
Spays and neuters are big decisions. At VetNaturally, we use a minimally invasive surgical procedure that your furry friend can heal from in only a few days. You may want to consider spaying or neutering in these cases:
- Your dog or cat is over six months old.
- Your pet has recently shown aggressive or unwanted sexual behaviors.
- You’re concerned about your pet getting pregnant.
- Your cat lives outside some or all of the time.
- You have multiple female and male pets in the house.
- You don’t want your pet to contract diseases or reproductive cancers.
- You want your pet to live as long as possible.
- You aren’t interested in breeding your pet.
You typically must wait until your kitten or puppy is at least six months old to receive the procedure. Your pet must have all of their vaccinations before undergoing the surgery. Once your pet is old enough, we typically recommend scheduling the spay or neuter as soon as possible.
The longer you wait, the more risks your pet may encounter. If you wait until your pet’s first heat, they may develop aggressive tendencies. Non-spayed and non-neutered animals also have higher risks of developing various diseases, so to avoid health complications, we recommend scheduling your appointment sooner rather than later.
Benefits of Spaying or Neutering Your Pet
The benefits of spaying or neutering your pet include the following:
- No heat cycles: Female pets go through heats, which are similar to menstrual cycles, though less frequent. Heats involve bleeding, increased urination, anxiety, and discomfort. After spaying your pet, you won’t have to worry about heats.
- Reduced cancer risks: Spaying and neutering eliminate the risk of a few common cancers, like testicular and ovarian cancer. Sterilized animals often have longer lifespans with these reduced cancer risks.
- Improved anxiety: Many animals experience anxiety from their heat or breeding behaviors. You can reduce your pet’s anxiety by eliminating these factors by spaying or neutering your pet before they reach adulthood.
- Lessened aggression: Male pets often exhibit less aggression after the neutering procedure.
- Eliminated pregnancy risks: If you don’t want to breed your pet, spay surgery eliminates unexpected pregnancy risks. Sterilizing your pet can also reduce the number of young kittens and puppies in shelters or on the streets.
- A simple recovery process: Our surgical team at VetNaturally uses a simple procedure that offers a quick, stress-free recovery process. Your pet will feel good as new within just a few days of their procedure.
Making the Best Decision for Your Pet
At VetNaturally, we want to help you make the best decision for your pet. If you’re unsure about spaying or neutering, you can bring your pet in, and we will walk you through your options to help you make an informed decision.
Spays and neuters are excellent ways to protect your pet’s health, helping it live a long, happy life. Call VetNaturally in Mandeville, LA, at (985) 718-9991 to schedule a spay or neuter consultation with our team.